New York Style Cheesecake
I used Chantal's New York Cheesecake from All Recipes. I changed up the recipe, but I advise sticking to the original!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Ready In: 6-7 hours
- Graham Cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- 8 ounce cream cheese
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, mix graham crackers and butter. Spread evenly on a greased 9 inch circular pan.
- In another mixing bowl, mix cream cheese, white sugar, milk, eggs, sour cream, vanilla extract, and flour. Pour on top of the previous mixture on the pan.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- After an hour, turn off oven and leave the cake inside for 5-6 hours. Store in the refrigerator until serving.
- There's a reason why the original recipe asks for 1.5 cup white sugar! Although it may seem excessive, too little sugar makes the resulting cheesecake bland and tasteless.
- Make sure you have the correct cream cheese to sour cream ratio (8 oz:1 cup)! Too much cream cheese in this ratio will give a more chewy, pudding-like texture. The sour cream gives a more soft and delicate texture.
- Leaving the cheesecake inside the oven after baking for 5-6 hours to prevent it from cracking.
- Overcooking causes the cheesecake to crack.
- Overbeating causes air bubbles and a less creamy texture.
- Remember to grease the side of the pan to prevent the cake from cracking.
- Room temperature ingredients prevents lumpy batter.